Saturday, May 11, 2013

BLT + A - Deal of the Day Sandwich

This classic sandwich is given, a 99 Cent Chef twist with the additions of low-cal Turkey Bacon and luscious avocado. My BLT + A, made with warm toasty bread, bacon, tender tomato, creamy avocado and crisp lettuce, has all the textures that make up a great bite.


My new favorite local Latin grocery chain store, Superior Grocers, has been selling 4 large avocados for a dollar the last 2 weeks. So I've been adding creamy slices to salads and every type of sandwich I make.


I would normally use real bacon for a BLT sandwich, but seeing Turkey Bacon on sale at my local 99c only Store, I wanted to finally try some.This is the type of special Deal of the Day that is snatched up quickly. So when you see something like this, you have to just buy it and figure out later how to use it -- because by the time you come back, after wandering the asiles, it may be gone! Believe me, this has happened many times and forget about coming back the next day, it will definitely have sold out.


You are getting a 2-fer today: a Deal of the Day review of Turkey Bacon and this delish recipe!

Now right off the bat, it does not compare with real bacon, but it's not bad. I guess the best thing you can say about Turkey Bacon is that it's low calorie.  There is a smokey flavor similar to cured bacon. It has the texture of baloney, but manages to crisp up fine. Although it doesn't scrunch up, or crunch and shatter like well-done real bacon. And Turkey Bacon shrinks very little, so you don't need to cook as much. For a lighter breakfast I would cook with turkey bacon again. So on a scale of 1 to 9, 9 being best, I give this Deal of the Day a 6. (Anything I rate a 5, or higher, is worth a try.)

If your sandwiches are boring lately, then try out my cheap and satisfying  
BLT + A -- and make sure to load up the sandwich with thick slices of creamy avocado!


Ingredients
  • 3-4 slices of bacon - I used turkey bacon on sale, but you could also use regular bacon.
  • 2 slices of bread - toasted. I used wheat bread.
  • Tomato - as many slices as you like for a sandwich.
  • Lettuce - as much as you like for a sandwich.
  • Avocado - as much as you like for a sandwich.
  • Mayo and/or mustard - I used mayo only.
  • 1 teaspoon oil - for turkey bacon. You will not need oil for regular bacon.


Directions
Saute bacon over a medium heat. For turkey bacon you may need a teaspoon of oil when frying. For regular bacon no oil is needed, but you may want to drain bacon when done.


Start bread slices toasting. (I used whole wheat bread purchased from the 99c only Store.) Slice tomato and avocado into desired thickness. Tear lettuce leaves into smaller pieces to fit sandwich.


Add mayo and/or mustard, and assemble the BLT + A sandwich.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...